Brace Yourself and Hold Tight …



Psalm 26:1b
"I have trusted in the LORD without wavering."

As summer kicks off, scenes of thrill and excitement like these come to mind.  Who doesn’t love a wild coaster ride on a sunny afternoon or at the peak of sunset?  I’m sure your family will enjoy making memories at an amusement park or take on some other breath-taking adventure like zip-lining or rock jumping.

 

A dear friend helped me see that the adoption journey is much like a roller coaster ride with its twists, turns and loops.  Now imagine this trek zooming backwards in the dark.  Yep, that image pretty much sums up the course we’ve embarked upon when signing up to adopt a child.  It requires us to step in the car with faith, buckle up, brace ourselves, and hold tight, because the commander of the ride can change directions, speed up or slow down at any point.  We ride by faith and give up almost all control.  (Jumping ship is not recommended.)

 



I love that Paul uses the phrase “hold fast” several times in the New Testament.  These words remind me to brace tight, plant firmly and intensify my grip.  They also mean to remain steadfast, stable and full of HOPE (the opposite of despair).  I imagine myself clinging steadily to a rock or seizing the roller coaster seat bar for security.  (I am not a hands-free kind of rider like many of you!)

 

But remember, the roller coaster ride is meant to be delightful.  It’s intended to be a joyous experience.  I have to remind myself, “Don’t hold so tight that your knuckles hurt and you miss the view!”  Why? Because that’s when the enemy allows trepidation to overtake you and steal your joy.  I relate to the precious boy in the image below and the the fear he embraces on the ride.  I feel the clutch of his arm and tight clench of the teeth.  But today I put my foot down and choose to lift my arms high (both in faith and praise).  I refuse to allow the evil one to steal, kill and destroy my joy on this journey.  Are you aware of the deceiver's presence and his desire to zap the life out of your calling?  Brace yourself and hold tight to God’s truths, especially as our world wavers and truth is hard to discern in these evil days.

 



In the book of Hebrews, chapter 10 verse 23 says, “Let us hold fast the confession of our hope without wavering, for He who promised is faithful…”  Another version says, "Let us hold tightly without wavering to the hope we affirm, for God can be trusted to keep his promise." This is SO encouraging to adoptive parents who are researching and waiting.  It also offers encouragement to the birth parents searching and hoping for the best fit forever home for their little one.


Paul is basically saying, let’s keep a firm, solid grip or clutch on the promises of Christ and believe wholeheartedly that He will stand on His Word.  Our Savior is reliable and trustworthy, so keep your eyes fixed on Him - not on the changing circumstances or tracks.


I choose to trust the loving Creator of the coaster ride who designed its intricate loops and turns.  I also rest in the fact that He inspected the track and has secured the ride for me.  He controls the curves and the speed; He knows the limit I can handle and He won’t allow me to be ejected or rejected from the course.  I belong to Him and He is FOR me in this quest.  So, I plant myself firmly in the coaster seat and don’t think twice about backing out or changing rides.  I’m confident in the Engineer and committed to holding fast to the end goal: a beautiful new family member.

 

1 Thessalonians 5:21 says “But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good …”  In other words, test all things and grip tightly what is honorable and true – like the sanctity of human life and God’s deign for family.  Forget clinging to worthless, worldly things that fade away.  Strive for what will be eternal and what will make an impact beyond this life.




Lord, help us hold fast to you and relax for the duration of the ride you’ve called us to accomplish.  Keep us not only firmly secure and braced in You, but smiling too!  And please bring laughter along the twisting way.  Forgive us when we cower in fear, close our eyes, and refuse to call upon you to settle our hearts.  You are the Giver of peace we so desperately need to rely on.

 

Keith and Kristyn Getty sing a moving, more solemn song titled: “He Will Hold Me Fast 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=936BapRFHaQ 

This song highlights that Christ will hold us fast even though our faith and hope easily wax and wane, and fears encroach. 


Please share our contact information with anyone interested in adoption (jerams@gmail.com)Our profile is also listed on a site called Pair Tree Family: https://pairtreefamily.com/adoption-parents/jerams.  Want to partner with us financially?  Please visit www.adopttogether.org and search Gillette family.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What a Homecoming!

A Christmas Miracle!

His fingerprints are evident ...